MrC's Web site
40 4 40
Photography
About MrC

201 : A Film Odyssey

This all started after I read Empire magazine back in March 2006.

Inside was a definitive list of the 201 best films of all time, as voted for by the magazine and it's readers. Included in the list were all kinds of films I would never normally watch. So as a keen film watcher, I thought to myself it might be a good idea to try and watch all the films in order and record my thoughts, and at the end of it, see how close the list was to my 201 best films.

This project will be much better if you could comment on these films and my reviews, so please, please, please get involved, just click on the comments text at the bottom of each review.

 



Saturday, July 08, 2006

201 ... Eraserhead


201 ... ERASERHEAD

Here it is, the first film in my odyssey.

A film I would probably have never seen, if I had not undertaken this project. I'd heard differing views on Eraserhead before I watched it, ranging from "rubbish" to "good" to "better watched whilst under the influence of mind altering drugs" !

It is definitely different. After watching Hollywood style films, the lack of a definite plot, grainy black and white picture, few spoken words and a weird soundtrack, made this film hardwork.

The film starts with a weird 6 minute scene including the main character Henry, staring into space and screaming, a shadowy character sat in a window pulling leavers and a giant sperm falling into a puddle !

The general gist from then on is Henry, living alone in a run down industrial area.
He visits his girlfriend and her parents for tea. The evening is weird, and includes a litter of puppies suckling their mother, long silences, the girlfriend having a seizure, the meal itself is little "man-made" chickens ! The father smiles insanely, and the mother has a total character transformation (from quiet, to shouting, to suckling Henry's neck). Henry finds out at this point his girlfriend is pregnant.

Next thing is the girlfriend at Henry's apartment with the baby - the baby looks like a cross between E.T. and Kermit the frog, but with no arms or legs. The baby cries, the girlfriend walks out, leaving Henry with baby, the baby gets sick, then (as you do) Henry sees a disfigured dancing girl and falling sperm inside the radiator ! Henry's attractive neighbor seduces him, then later comes home with another man, the baby cries, Henry loses it and kills the baby. He then appears to fall into insanity and the arms of the girl in the radiator ?

A WEIRD film, bizzare, a metaphor, full of other metaphors. There are some memorable images and I can see parts of the story saying something, but this is a tough film to watch and very different to the norm. Not enough to really hold my attention throughout or for a repeat viewing.

AFO (A Film Odyssey) rating 5
TJ (T J Hooker) rating 0
CK (Captain Kirt) rating n/a

Links .... IMDB Wikipedia The City of Absurdity

Please add your comments ....

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr (Matrix) Anderson: This is a work of complete originality, once watched; never forgotten. A walk through nightmare for the wide awake. I just hope I never experience such imagery whilst asleep or after too much pear cider.
Finger buffets with chicken legs have never been the same since !

13/7/06 12:35  
Blogger The Captain said...

Sorry, I'm not going to watch this movie. Too surreal for my liking. Even I have my limits.

No rating available.

13/7/06 19:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one film I couldn't get my head round. I wasn't certain if it was the director, the cast (?) or myself that were on drugs. This is certainly one to watch if you want to confuse yourself.

1 out of 10

14/7/06 07:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A total waste of 89 mins of my time.If anyone can tell me what the film was all about please do.

I could write a book about how bad this film was but I will just say the worst film ever made

Rating -10 out of 10.

Look forward to your next review

15/7/06 12:55  
Blogger David said...

I worked in a cinema in Manchester years ago and some came to see it and threw up half way through. After that I sat and watched it.At least I have an advantage over most people who have seen it;I didn't have to pay.
Did Mr Lynch just set out to make a film that was so bad and so unexplainable and so sick and made not the slightest sense that people would remeber it. Well in my case he succeed. It's 20 years since I saw it and I still remember it.I wish I didn't.

23/7/06 00:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home