MrC's Web site
40 4 40
Photography
About MrC

201 : A Film Odyssey

This all started after I read Empire magazine back in March 2006.

Inside was a definitive list of the 201 best films of all time, as voted for by the magazine and it's readers. Included in the list were all kinds of films I would never normally watch. So as a keen film watcher, I thought to myself it might be a good idea to try and watch all the films in order and record my thoughts, and at the end of it, see how close the list was to my 201 best films.

This project will be much better if you could comment on these films and my reviews, so please, please, please get involved, just click on the comments text at the bottom of each review.

 



Monday, December 01, 2008

198 ... Rebel Without A Cause


198 ... Rebel Without A Cause

Yes, I'm back ! It's been 15 months since my last review, so here goes ! Not long now to fit in the other 197 ....
Another film I hadn't seen before. Whenever I see a film like this, made in the 1940's, 50's & 60's with that Technicolor colour and grain about them, I think of films shown on TV on Saturday and Sunday afternoons years ago at my Nan's, before we'd set off to the match !


I was expecting good things from this film, after reading all the reviews, etc. The stories about a teenager, James Dean, moving to a new town and rebelling against his parents, trying to help a friend, getting a girlfriend and facing up to school bullies and knives. So although 50 years old still looking at similar problems to today.
It took me a while to get into, but my interest increased as the film went on and the story developed and subjects that were taboo in the 50's are hinted at (dealing with being gay, father & daughter feelings).

In its day it was probably ahead of it's time. It's still good, relevant and parts of it have been used and copied in other films or shows, but the film itself does feel a bit dated.

AFO (A Film Odyssey) rating 7
TJ (T J Hooker) rating ??
CK (Captain Kirt) rating ??

Mr Matrix rating 8

Links .... IMDB Wikipedia

Please add your comments ....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Matrix says: James Dean is soooo cool! Is this the first teenage angst film ? I think it's very relevant today - the peer pressure, the relatonship with parents (" YOU'RE TEARING ME APART !") and particular the violence ie knives. Is there a gay sub-plot running throughout this film ? (Discuss)

2/12/08 09:56  
Blogger MrC said...

Mr Matrix, there's something going on with Plato and his feelings for Jim Stark, for sure.

And what about the relationship between Judy and her dad ? She wants to kiss him, when she does he slaps her as though he's hiding something ?

2/12/08 12:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home